Where did I start this chapter of my life? In Sheares Hall.
It was the end of SECC, Rag 06|07 asked for help.
Hui Xiang, Cynthia and Fangyi decided to join rag dance.
I hesitated at first and thought why not give it a try, I can quit later.
I joined and even though practice was tough, I pulled through the first one.
It was difficult to quit. I had no other reasons except that practice was tough.
My pride told me that this couldn't defeat me. And I strived till the end.
I fought hard for the dancers I practiced with and for the raggers downstairs.
It was not for Sheares Hall. Who's Sheares Hall? I didn't know then.
It was worthwhile even though no shields were won.
I cried for nervousness, it was my first dance performance in front of NUS.
I cried for happiness, it ended well and I was proud of us.
I cried for disappointment, we didn't win any shields.
Then, recruitment for Rag 07|08 started.
The fire in me was burning. I want to join again and this time win Rag.
Due to stage fright and lack of talent, I didn't want to join dance this time.
I got interested in folding and sticking scales while helping out during breaks.
I joined Jian Hui as part of his materials engineer team.
Even before the vacation started, we had our first can-washing session.
Smelly cans and wrinkled hands didn't stop me.
Then, there was my first recee session with Valerie and Jian Hui.
We went door by door to ask for donations of money and materials.
We had fun gossiping and taking photos.
Then, Rag started for MEs, but some returned for work at different times.
We discovered talents within ourselves as time went by.
We have cardboard experts, origami queen, spray paint master etc.
Even though the Queen was demanding and disappears sometimes, we still had fun.
We have treats each time a ME leaves during work for personal events.
As the side props get completed one by one, we grew confident.
The beautiful side props gave strength to our dream to win Rag this time.
I experienced how crazy backstage raggers become as Rag Day drew closer.
It was super tiring and stressful. Everything seemed to be never-ending.
When time came to stop all work, I felt relieved, our float was finished.
At Padang, crowds passed our float complimented on its beautiful and magnificance.
I felt so proud to be part of Rag 07|08 to be able to create a wonderful float.
When they annouced the results, we were already too emotional.
I cried and screamed each time the emcees stated "Sheares Hall". I was overjoyed.
To tell the truth, I didn't know what to expect at that time.
I didn't expect to win so many shields. Each time, I felt shock before I felt happiness.
I was satisfied that people liked and praised our float, winning was really just a bonus.
At the end, I was still suffering from disbelief that we won almost everything.
We celebrated our victory into another new semester.
When it was time to recruit for Rag 08|09, not many wanted to join.
It was difficult to even look for chiefs and ICs, let alone members.
People joined and backout, people rather do orientation than Rag.
The number even just before the vacation started was pitifully small.
I decided to help again. I took up Chief ME.
I had a team of 4 people, 3 of which I haven't even met or heard of before.
Rag started and I found out 2 were on special semester. My manpower was reduced.
We still tried to complete with whatever we had. 2 is better than none.
I realised that I wasn't good at managing people, I rather do work than allocating them.
I sacrificed quality for progress and completion which I really regretted after that.
There wasn't much I could do or think of then.
The main comm was fun but the meetings were long and stretched for hours.
I was too tired from work that I even slept during some of the meetings.
I am grateful that Boon Seng is in the team. He had the ability in managing people.
I am amazed at his ability to persuade juniors to come down to help. His PR is so ZAI!
I am very happy to see the juniors so enthusiatic about Rag.
I am also thankful that he brought Yong Sim in with him. They were both hardwrokers.
Sze Hui is fun to have around, she adds laughter to the comm hall.
Sze Hui was also of great help when Boon Seng and Yong Sim were still studying.
Jaden crossed over from Designer to ME but still kept his emo-ing.
Dina and Yee Mun came to my rescue during the last few weeks of Rag.
Really thankful for everyone who have helped us pull through the whole thing.
I was touched by the help the juniors offered in the last 2-3 weeks. They were great.
What was even more touching was the scene I saw when the results were annouced.
These juniors were hugging each other and crying as hard as the raggers.
I am glad that they felt the same way. It was also their float afterall.
For unknown reasons, although we didn't win any except for least cost, I wasn't too disappointed.
I got over the loss quite fast. Maybe because I have already experienced victory once.
Another year came, recruitment for Rag 09|10 started.
It was heart-warming to see those enthusiatic juniors apply to be in Rag.
Even though not all joined as ME, but they are still part of the Rag team. It's good enough.
I didn't participate much in Rag this time even though Dina is Chief ME.
I went back a few times to see and help.
Surprised to see Dina formed a "Maid Enterprise" with her female dominant team.
They looked like they are having a lot fun. I got jealous of Dina and her team.
Towards the end of Rag, Dina asked for help with one of the side props. I went back.
I worked on the side prop and tried to complete it for the big day.
This Rag team is one of the biggest in history with a total of 99 members.
I was actually quite disappointed with the amount of help that was coming from the Shearites.
Somehow it felt like a Sheares Rag's Float than a Sheares' Rag float.
Standing among the blacks and oranges, I only felt strong emotions from the blacks.
Come on people, what is this? I guessed that was also one the reasons why I left initially.
The blacks were devastated whenever they hear other halls' name.
The oranges I believe didn't feel that strong emotion in them. They will never why until they do it.
Even though I didn't participate much in this Rag, I felt the pain of not winning.
I was touched by the efforts that were put in by the raggers in these 3 months.
They really really wanted to win this time. I hope they do next time.
Special mention to Nigel and Jung Seong, both of them had been through 4 Rags with me.
We slogged for months each year just for that 5 minutes of performance and some shields.
We have won 1 out of 4 times. We started from Daily Express and now Incandescence.
We did not stop at the Cinderella, we continued to fight for Rhapsody and Incandescence.
It had been a really great experience to be doing Rag with you two these 3 years.
Here, I ended my 3 years of University life with 4 different Rag experiences.
I guessed I grew quite a bit. I had lots of fun and tears in these 3 short years.
I had most fun while doing Rag. It's true, I swear.
I made a lot of friends and learned a lot of things that couldn't be found in textbooks.
What do I have to say to the juniors? Join Hall, Do Rag, Have Fun.
i am who i am
8/10/2009 04:38:00 AM